Monday, June 15, 2009

Delayed...

OK, since my last post, I hadn’t been able to work on that “special project”. The project has come to a halt due to the version of Ubuntu that the test application was on had expired.

So now, the server needs to be rebuilt before I can go forward. It sits in the UK and I’m here in Texas. Luckily the guy who built the app in the first place said that he will rebuild it today. I’ll have to see how far he’s gotten when I get into the office.

So then, I started working on the many other projects that I have been assigned. Some of them are rebuilding existing servers. So last week, I’ve rebuilt 4 Windows 2003 servers, 1 Windows 2008, 2 Solaris (UNIX) servers, and 2 Ubuntu servers. All were on new hardware. Thank God for multi-tasking. I was able to do a lot of the installs at the same time. I still have another Windows 2003 server to finish when I get in today.

Friday, I finished a project that monitored incoming email from the Domain Registrars for zones that are expiring. It opens a ticket with all the zone information (ie. owner, billing code, etc.), and assigns it to the appropriate group to process it.

Yesterday I picked back up on a program that I started over 3 months ago. It’s something that needs to be finished. I’ve been working around it, using the MySQL utilities and SQL statements. This in turn does have to do in part with the “special project” that has been delayed. It is a SOAP message queue manager. It’ll allow the users to modify and re-submit SOAP messages that failed to be processed. I should have this one done by this evening.

I liked it when I could pick and choose the projects…

2 comments:

Planetx_123 said...

So you work for a hosting company?

Are you in Austin?

Steve

Ray's Blog said...

Sort of. It's a lot more than just hosting though.