Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ticket Manager complete!

The Ticket Manager is complete (for the most part)! Well, that is what I'm calling it, and it's about 95 percent complete.

Actually, the "Manager" part is misleading, it is more of a ticket browser. I still have to decide if I'm going to allow people to copy existing tickets, or how much editting I'm going to allow. They cannot update this information because once the ticket has been created, there is no interconnection between the data and the actual ticketing system.

The user can search and view existing data, which is what they wanted. My guess is next they are going to want the ability to print and/or email it too. In this case, I'm not going to print all the data, just the references to the actual ticket system. If they want more data, they can go there and print it. LOL!

I just had my quarterly review, and my manager is happy with the email solution for the DNS Requests ticket generation and conciders the project complete, but I know it is not. I still have to do the Perl-to-PHP conversion. In this review, I found out that I will be inheriting the DNS for all of the company. No big deal, because originally, I had it when I first started working for them. So, the conversion will only help me in the long run.

The other day I had a good laugh. Originally, when a DNS Request was made, an email was sent to one of the Service Desks around the world. This could take anywhere from 4 hours to 4 days for them to finally create a ticket. Since the move to processing email automatically, it takes roughly 5-10 minutes for a ticket to be created.

So what made me laugh was somebody was complaining that it was taking too long to get their ticket created. I'm like, we went from 4 hours to 10 minutes, and its still taking too long? Americans, they want instant gratification. I can see them saying "I want my ticket number NOW!!!" LOL

Oh, in my review, I also found out that I will be moving to a new group, with a new Manager. My current one basically said as far as reviews go he's "done" with me. We'll see how his comments go when he posts them. :-/

Happy coding!
Mike

PS. Just in case you are wondering, I'm a 12th generation American. I can trace my family tree back to the 1630's here in America.

1 comment:

Planetx_123 said...

Congrats on all that. And good luck in the new group. Do you have any active directory experience? I'm having a strange problem where one of GPOs is being applied (via gpresult) on the clients, but the logon script isn't running. I've turned on 'run scripts over slow links', and RSOP confirms that its not running the logon script (there is nothing there). I'm totally stuck. It has worked before, but then suddenly stopped working. I'm convinced its something with slow links but can't figure it out.

Thanks,

Steve