Monday, July 13, 2009

Implementation...

OK, sorry that I have not posted sooner, been busy.

Tomorrow (Tuesday, 14-Jul) the “Special Project” will be implemented. Actually, it will be the Q-n-D process and not the final solution I had hoped for (the quick-and-dirty being the process of redirecting the email to a daemon process instead of the talking directly to the mid-tier web server to create tickets).

Ran into a snag. For some strange reason, someone had removed the MX records for the target email domain (all except for the SMTP server itself) and so email was not being relayed by our gateway mail servers. Restored the MX records. Spent the whole day trying to find out who removed them, but was not able to.

So, the Project will be implemented tomorrow sometime UK time, not sure when. I think I’ll wake up to see if the changes have been implemented. If it all explodes and dumps sh*t all over the place, I’ve got a backup plan. Every thing is logged and a backup copy of the email is kept for this kind of failure. I’ve fully tested it on my development server, but as some of you may know, something always creeps in and ruins a good thing.

Hope all goes well!!

No comments: