Friday, July 24, 2009

Update...

The "Special Project" is running well now. It has processed over 75 tickets the first week. Not bad. It is on track as to what we told them, 300 tickets per month.

I'm still "learning" PHP. I abandoned the text book that I was reading -- got tired of correcting the mistakes in the text and examples. If I had written it, I would be ashamed of all the errors. :-\

In PHP, there are two methods of connecting to MySQL. One called "mysql_connect()" and "mysqli()". The author kept flopping back and forth between the two, mixing them up to the point that the examples could not have worked. I could understand a little if the text was wrong, but for the examples to be wrong, it just tells me that they didn't even try to run them in the first place. Simplest thing.

And it pissed me off that the author would use PHP code without explaining what it was or why it was being used. She just throws it in there and ignores the fact that it is there. This tells me that she finally got around to running the example, fixed it and didn't bother to add text to explain the fix.

I'm now reading "PHP and MySQL for Dummies". For the most part, I've found that these types of books are not bad if you are trying to learn a programming language. I had this book all along. I should have started with this in the first place. Well, I'll be sure and post a comment here on it.

No comments: